Thursday, January 5, 2012

Healthy Buffalo Egg Breakfast Sandwich

During the week it's usually hard for me to cook breakfast since I'm up at 4 a.m. and out the door by 4:30. Breakfast Monday through Friday is usually "grab-and-go"—a banana or protein bar.So on the weekends I really enjoy my mornings and like to treat myself to a hot breakfast without undoing my week of healthy eating. I love getting up with my 1-year-old Elliot while my husband sleeps in. I brew some fresh coffee and cook a nutritious breakfast. I love vegetables so one morning I looked in the fridge to see what I had. I always have eggs, and my two favorite vegetables are spinach and tomatoes, which I always have in stock. I'm usually at the local farmer's market every other day to make sure I have spinach and tomatoes in the house. I grabbed the eggs, spinach and tomatoes, but I wasn't quite sure what else I wanted to do. I had some whole grain loaf so I sliced it thin, put it in the oven, and toasted it until it was crunchy. I put Frank's Red Hot Sauce on everything, particularly on eggs, and when I think hot sauce I think of a cool dip like ranch or blue cheese. Luckily I had some fat-free ranch and, let's face it, anything is fun to eat when you find a way to dip it in something. The eggs, vegetables, hot sauce, ranch on the toasty bread...it was a perfect combination. What a sandwich! I loved it so much I made it the next day, too. Oh, and it takes about eight minutes to prepare. Hmmm...if I get up at 3:45 a.m. on weekdays, this breakfast sandwich just might have a shot!  —Jill



You'll need:
Whole grain bread (I use whole grain loaf), 2 slices
1 egg and 2 egg whites
1 cup spinach, chopped
1 small tomato, diced
Fat-free ranch dressing
Chives
Frank's Red Hot Sauce
Black pepper
Red pepper flakes

In a large skillet crack one egg and two egg whites. Add pepper, red pepper flakes and fold in the spinach and tomato. As the egg cooks in the form of an omlette, flip it over and make sure it cooks evenly. Top the eggs with a  few dashes of hot sauce. Place on one slice of the toasted whole grain bread. Spread the ranch dressing on the other piece of bread and top sandwich. Add a small side of the fat free ranch for dipping. Garnish with chives. You can even add a side of your favorite fruit. Grab a cup of freshly brewed coffee and enjoy. Now that's a Good Morning! 

1 comment:

  1. Together, the Nippo-Anglo faction faces off against the German scr888 app download monarchy and an expansionist United States joins the war to make a unique three-sided conflict. No Pearl Harbor, no Hitler, no Nazis, no Soviet Union. With each mission you are kept current with newspaper headlines and briefings from HQ.

    ReplyDelete