Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Fishing for a Dinner Deal


"I wanted to begin the new year on a healthy note so I decided that our first family dinner of 2012 would be fish. Whenever I know I am making fish for dinner that night, I stop into the local A&P where one or more types of fish are usually on the Manager's Special for half price because it has to be sold that day. Today it was the swordfish, but only one 1-pound piece was to my liking, so I grabbed it (half off $10.90—score!) and decided to make some other fish we all like. The salmon fillet was $8.99 a pound (not bad, so I asked for piece that was a little over 1.5 pounds) and the tuna steak looked too good to pass up, even at $11.99 a pound. I picked out a piece that was just over a half a pound. I let the salmon sit in a lemon-garlic marinade for about an hour. I threw a few pats of butter on top before baking it at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. I coated the top of the tuna steak with some extra virgin olive oil, garlic cloves, salt, pepper and lemon slices and baked it at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. I put a little garlic salt, pepper, and rosemary on the swordfish steak and seared it in a hot, oiled skillet for 2-3 minutes on each side before putting it in the oven on 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. On the side I made baked sweet potatoes and roasted peppers. I think we're off to a healthy start. Only 363 more days to go!"Diana  


Clockwise from top left: Baked sweet potato, roasted peppers, salmon, tuna steak, swordfish.

No comments:

Post a Comment